Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Giving Tree

This tree stump stands at the edge of the Spokane River in Kiwanis Park. It's become a favorite of mine over the years. It maintains a dignity in every season as the years pass, as the river rolls by.

I've photographed this stump from many angles over the years. I love it in the Spring when the water level is low. I climb down the short cliff and photograph the stump from below. I love it in the early Autumn when the park empties because the kids are back in school. I've found balled up socks left to dry on the stump.

I think of "my" stump as The Giving Tree, having given birds a place to nest, having given shade on sunny days, having given its wood after a wind storm, now giving a place to sit and rest.

The four photos below were taken in different years. I like that I now have a photo of my Giving Tree at nearly the same angle in every season.



Here's the original story of The Giving Tree


No comments:

Post a Comment